Sunday, 1 July 2007

London Free Time

This afternoon we had some free time, as I think I mentioned in my previous post, so Kirstyn and I had planned to do a lot, however, the best laid plans never happen. We got back to the room, Kirstyn wanted to freshen up, I wanted to post on my blog, and the next thing we knew it was 3:30. So, Kirstyn and I got off to a late start and didn't have much time. We ended up going on our own walking tour.

We left the Hotel, then headed to the British Museum. The first awe inpiring moment was when we walked into the rotunda. It was beautiful. We only had an hour before they closed, so they gave us a list of their top 10 must sees. We first went to see the Rosetta Stone; it was quite impressive for a big rock. Next we went to see an Easter Island statue; another site to behold. We were on our way to see the turquoise mosaic Aztec double headed dragon (that was a mouthful), but we got side-tracked by the Japanese exhibits. Back on the way to the dragon, we saw the Egyptian mummies and some Greek statues of Gods; again really cool! Our last stop was to see the Lewis Chess set. This chess set was made of ivory and washed up on the shore of some river somewhere. No one knows the origin of it. What is really cool is that it was the chess set used in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Oh yeah, speaking of Harry Potter, we've seen the Australia House, aka Gringotts, and the alley used to film the scenes before reaching Diagon Alley. Only passed them on the bus though!

We left the museum right before it closed, and tried to make our way to Covent Garden to visit a Theatre museum and store. Unfortunately, we couldn't find either the museum or the store, but we were in Covent Garden. While there, we found a really great comic book and collectible store. We spent some time in there until they closed. We were only there for 10 minutes; I don't want you to think we were there for hours.

Our next task was to find our way back to the hotel. We actually found it, and we only asked for directions once. As we were approaching the hotel, we ran into another mom and daughter on the Adventure. We joined them for dinner at a Pizza place across the street from the hotel. We learned a valuable pizza in London lesson; when they ask if you want ground pepper, it's for your pizza, not your salad. We thought this was wierd.

Anyhow, we have a 7:30 am start tomorrow so we have the alarm set for 6 am. I really should try to get some sleep. Kirstyn is already sleeping, miracles do happen. I think all this fresh air is getting to her. So take care everyone. My next post will be from Paris, France. Au revoir mes amis.

PS: Sorry no pictures for this post. I left my camera in the hotel room, and we forgot the USB cord to download Kirstyn's photos at home! Thank goodness I brought the third memory card!!!

No comments: