Tuesday, 10 July 2007

Cruise Day 4 - Naples

Today is one of the days I was waiting for. We are in Naples, and we are visiting Pompeii. Our tour was an early one as we had to leave the ship at 8 am; 2 am to you folks at home! It was a good thing I got Banana Bread from dinner to go last night, as we didn't have time for breakfast! Those who know me, know I never get up in time for breakfast, and Kirstyn is following in my footsteps! So it was 7:56 and we ran out of the room with banana bread in hand and made it to the meeting point just in time!


Today's tour was "Amalfi Coast Drive and Pompeii" The drive was first and I have never experienced anything like it. To those reading that have done the tour, our guide was Manuella and our driver was Ciro. Ciro deserves applause for the way he drove that big Mercedes Benz bus around those narrow corners, without a single ding! The drive took us through Sorrento, Positano and many others to end up in the town of Amalfi! On the way, we stopped at a wood working shop and had a coffee break. In Amalfi, we stopped for a traditional (??) Italian lunch of pasta, pizza, wine, and espresso! It was really nice, and the bathrooms were fantastic!

After Amalfi, we made our way to Pompeii. The first visit was to a Cameo factory. It is really impressive how they make them. Then it was into Pompeii. The ruins were gorgeous. You could see the opulence in the way they lived, plus you could really tell the difference between the upper class and the slaves. It was interesting looking at Pompeii and seeing Vesuvius in the background! We toured Pompeii for about an hour, they headed home. The tour was 10 hours long, and well worth it. Anyhow! Talk to you all later. It looks like it is only letting me post one photo at a time! Ciao!

Just wanted to add that the sea is pretty rough tonight! We are experiencing 8 to 13 foot waves. I know it is not as bad as the repo, but I'm feeling it. Take care!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MJ - try to drink more so that you don't notice the ship's rocking motion.